Hyundai’s Eco-friendly Future is Bright.

Asan Solar Power Facility

Asan Solar Power Facility

Hyundai Motor Company, South Korea’s largest automaker, will install South Korea’s largest rooftop photovoltaic power plant at its manufacturing factory in Asan, Korea. A rooftop photovoltaic power plant is basically a system that uses photovoltaic panels to covert sunlight into electricity.

The purpose of this project is to reduce carbon emissions while easing the nation’s power supplies. Hyundai also plans to use more renewable energy and, in turn, eventually reducing global warming. The way this will work is by Hyundai generating electricity, while Korea Electric Power Corporation will purchase the electricity to sell it to the public. Hyundai will also plan to install 40,000 solar PV modules on the rooftops by 2013. This plant will supply up to 11.5 million kwh of electricity per year and eliminate 5,600 tons of carbon emissions This is the beginning step of going Eco-friendly. Currently South Korea is the only place Hyundai has chosen to build it, and it will hopefully spread worldwide. I hope that many other car companies begin the same process as Hyundai to fight against global warming.

Source

4 comments to Hyundai’s Eco-friendly Future is Bright.

• Whether PV panels make financial sense varies with tax incentives and feedin tariffs (the prices utilities are required to pay to providers of electricity to their grid). Of course Hyundai likely uses more power in its plant than a rooftop of solar panels can generate, so it doesn’t need to sell power, only reduce purchases.

How much power have our parking garage panels generated? Of course they’re now a couple years old, so Hyundai ought to do better. But I don’t know how many cloud-free days that part of Korea enjoys.

• andrew

The Government can not tax subtilize something into practical use. Only when other, traditional sources of power become to expensive will the use of Solar power become useful. At this point, things like the Rouge “green” roof, and the Hyundai solar power are merely PR stunts to try to show the public that “See, we care too!!!”.

• tyler

Unfortunately (not because I dislike Asher, but because it has negative implications for the environment), I agree with Asher. While this looks great I doubt the positive impact of these panels will be paid for by someone, be it the taxpayer, or Hyundai in a PR stunt.

• cookg15

Perhaps over time the costs that have been reduced will be significant, but I have to echo the sentiment that this will mostly be a PR benefit and will curry favor with customers who appreciate Hyundai’s environmental efforts. I think it is especially important for auto makers to be environmentally friendly as their products by sheer quantity are some of the greatest contributors to emissions. Maybe they’ll use this approach to sell cars to people who eat up anything with an “Eco-friendly” label and start attaching solar panels to the roofs of their cars!